July 26, 2004
Another Silly Quiz
From Res Ipsa Loquitur:
Posted by Dr. Weevil at July 26, 2004 10:40 PM
- WHAT COLOR ARE YOUR BEDROOM WALLS? My apartment (first floor and basement of an old rowhouse) doesn't have a bedroom, so I sleep in the living room. The plastering in most of the rooms is lumpy -- not sure how to define it exactly -- with darker golden-beige over a lighter beige: very pretty.
- WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW? Marcus Aurelius: Meditations (in English, with occasional glances at the Greek), Claudian, De Consulatu Stilichonis (in Latin, and I'm editing it for my other website).
- WHAT’S ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? The Rosetta Stone -- from the British Museum.
- FAVORITE BOARD GAME? Diplomacy or Latin Scrabble, not that I often have a chance to play either.
- FAVORITE MAGAZINE? The New Criterion. Publishing an article in it is on my list of Things To Do Before I Die -- I even have the title and subject picked out, though actually writing the thing is taking time.
- FAVORITE SMELL? Baking bread, or barbecuing pork, or quite a few other things, all of them hot and soon-to-be-edible. Hay fever and asthma interfere with my enjoyment of more natural smells. Or maybe I'm just a glutton.
- FAVORITE COLOR? Blue.
- LEAST FAVORITE COLOR? Pink.
- HOW MANY RINGS BEFORE YOUR ANSWERING MACHINE PICKS UP? Four: I've never cared enough to go to the trouble of changing the default setting.
- MOST IMPORTANT MATERIAL THING IN MY LIFE? Can I list all my books as one thing? Even picking out 100 special favorites would be difficult.
- FAVORITE FLAVOR OF ICE CREAM? Coffee, though I never drink the liquid kind, unless it's a quadruple espresso with plenty of real cream and sugar. Similarly, I love the smell of a cigar store, though I find cigars quite nasty when they're lit.
- DO YOU BREAK THE SPEED LIMIT DAILY? I don't always leave the house, but when I do drive, I generally speed, though not often by more than 10 mph.
- DO YOU HAVE A STUFFED ANIMAL IN YOUR ROOM SOMEWHERE? Two on the mantle: a little grey platypus and a big black gorilla, both gifts from an ex-girlfriend. There were three, but the blue elephant was my least favorite, so I gave it away. (Hope she doesn't read this.)
- STORMS - COOL OR SCARY? Definitely cool. Even hurricanes are no big deal, since I live in a stone row house, neither on the end nor the top floor, with a garage in the basement so I don't have to worry about a tree falling on my car, and not much prospect of flooding either. Then again, a hurricane struck the day I moved in last September, and I didn't think to put the car in the garage until afterwards.
- FAVORITE DRINK? Calvados, or apple jack if my budget is tight -- not that there's a lot of difference, or as much difference as one would expect from the difference in price.
- WHEN IS YOUR BIRTHDAY? The Ides of March.
- FAVORITE VEGETABLES? Potatoes, but only in the form of home-made fries, with a steak and a salad to accompany them.
- IF YOU COULD HAVE ANY JOB, WHAT WOULD IT BE? Professor of Latin.
- IF YOU COULD HAVE ANY COLOR HAIR, WHAT WOULD IT BE? Not having much hair to color, the question is almost entirely hypothetical. I will never dye what little (greying) hair I have, though I often shave my head.
- HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN LOVE? Yes.
- TOP THREE FAVORITE MOVIES (IN ORDER)? I haven't seen a lot of movies until lately, but so far: Brazil, Heathers, Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Ask me again in a few weeks: I'm working on a big stack of them.
- DO YOU TYPE WITH YOUR FINGERS ON THE RIGHT KEYS? Yes, though sloppily. Being also obsessive-compulsive about spelling and punctuation, I never wrote much of anything before word-processors were invented.
- WHAT’S UNDER YOUR BED? Nothing, unless you count the sheet that keeps the futon from getting dirty.
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE NUMBER? 14.
- FAVORITE SPORT TO WATCH ON TV & IN PERSON? None. I don't watch sports, and don't play any except occasionally croquet.
- WHAT IS YOUR SINGLE BIGGEST FEAR? Drowning. It's always seemed a particularly unpleasant way to die.
- FAVORITE CD OF ALL TIME & RIGHT NOW? Classical All-Time: If it had ever come out on CD, my favorite would be Heinrich Schütz, St. Luke Passion and Seven Last Words, Leonhardt Consort and Monteverdi Choir, conducted by Jürgen Jürgens, Telefunken 1974. Since it hasn't, I suppose I would have to pick William Christie's recording of Purcell's Dido and Aeneas. Classical Right Now: Haydn, Les Sept dernières Paroles de Notre Rédempteur sur la Croix, orchestral version (much more thrilling than the string quartet and keyboard versions), conducted by Jordi Savall. Non-Classical All-Time (can I pick a 3-CD set?): Hank Williams, The Original Singles Collection. Non-Classical Right Now: Joe Turner, Things That I Used To Do.
- FAVORITE TV SHOW OF ALL TIME & RIGHT NOW? All time: Beavis & Butt-Head. Right now: I don't get cable or Fox (must be a hill in the way), so I suppose the best thing on the three channels I do get is Without a Trace or one of the various CSIs and Law and Orders. I tend to get them all mixed up, and they've been showing nothing but reruns for weeks now, so to Hell with them all.
- HAMBURGERS OR HOT DOGS? Hamburgers. See my answers to the TCCI quiz for further explanation.
- THE COOLEST PLACES YOU’VE EVER BEEN? Civilized: Oxford. State of nature: Pinnacles National Monument: it's been roughly 35 years but I still haven't forgotten.
- WHAT WALLPAPER AND/OR SCREENSAVER IS ON YOUR COMPUTER RIGHT NOW? A porcupine from a South Korean zoo. His eyes seem to follow me around the room.
- DOES MCDONALD’S SKIMP ON YOUR FRIES & DO YOU CARE? Who knows? I only eat McMuffins and such, and only when I need to eat breakfast in the car on long trips.
- FAVORITE CHAIN RESTAURANT(s)? Popeye's, I guess.
- IF YOU HAVE A BOY (OR HAVE ANOTHER BOY) WHAT WOULD YOU NAME HIM? I'll cross that highly unlikely bridge when and if I come to it.
- IF YOU COULD LEARN TO PLAY ONE INSTRUMENT OVERNIGHT, WHAT WOULD IT BE? Steel guitar, definitely. It would be cheating to pick Junior Brown's Guit-steel, a two-necked combination steel guitar and not-steel guitar.
I can't believe that drowning is your biggest fear. I've done it before and its fine.
1. What does "Res Ipsa Loquitur" mean? "talking about the thing itself"? Or am I way too rusty?
2. Does Latin Scrabble have a different set of letter?
3. Popeyes chicken has no apostrophe. I don't know why.